Hey, I really enjoyed that Cardinals-Rams ... ah, who am I kidding? That was a horrible football game, with the good fantasy players not doing much of anything. If you ever start either of those quarterbacks, don't come back here.
If you need help getting ready for Sunday's games after reading today's blog entry, here's what you can do before kickoff:
- Send your questions to me via Facebook or Twitter. You can also tweet lineup questions to my colleagues Joel Beall, Ryan Fowler and Mike Harmon.
- Listen to hosts Harmon, Peter Burns and Nate Lundy on the FOX Fantasy Freaks on FOX Sports Radio Sunday from 9 a.m. until noon ET. You can tweet questions to those guys as well.
- Join a pregame chat with Beall and me on Sunday from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.
- Review my Week 5 rankings, along with all the great information at our fantasy football news page.
On to the news:
- Giants WR Hakeem Nicks (foot, knee) will not play on Sunday. That'll be three games out of five for Nicks, and the phrase "lost season" is starting to creep into my head. With teammate Ramses Barden (concussion) also looking iffy, Domenik Hixon again looks like a pretty good start this week.
- Packers WR Greg Jennings (groin) will miss Sunday's game, with the hope that a week of rest will finally heal his injury. James Jones maintains his fantasy relevance as a WR3, with Randall Cobb close behind.
- Rams WR Danny Amendola left last night's game with an injury that is rumored to be a broken collarbone. Ugh.
- Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez was back at practice Thursday, but probably won't play until Week 6. Teammate Rob Gronkowski (hip) was back at practice after resting on Wednesday, and is expected to play.
- Bears RB Matt Forte appears ready to go this week after aggravating his ankle injury against the Cowboys Monday night.
- Saints WR Lance Moore (hamstring) hasn't practiced this week, and his status for Sunday night's game is up in the air. Due to the late start, if the words "gametime decision" appear in the same sentence with Moore's name this weekend, you might need to bench him.
- In case you missed it, Jets WR Santonio Holmes is out for the season because of a foot injury. TE Dustin Keller (hamstring) and WR Stephen Hill (hamstring) still haven't practiced this week, either. If you want to take a deep flier on a Jet receiver, Jeremy Kerley is probably your guy.
- So, the Chargers listed Jackie Battle ahead of Ryan Mathews on the depth chart this week, causing a widespread freakout among Mathews' fantasy owners. I have Mathews at RB13 this week, and Battle at RB29. The Saints' defense is terrible, having allowed 186.8 rushing yards per game so far. Please start Mathews if you have him. If it doesn't work out, you can yell at me next week.
- The Steelers will get RB Rashard Mendenhall, LB James Harrison and S Troy Polamalu back this week. Earlier in the week, head coach Mike Tomlin called Mendenhall the team's "lead dog." I've got him at RB21.
- QB Matt Hasselbeck will start for the Titans this week in place of the injured Jake Locker. WR Kenny Britt (ankle) still hasn't practiced this week, so you might want to bump Nate Washington and Kendall Wright up in your rankings. Wright has been targeted 19 times in the last two weeks. Hmm ...
- Texans RB Ben Tate (toe) missed Thursday's practice, and his status for the Monday nighter against the Jets will probably be determined on Saturday. Tate's role as Arian Foster's sidekick has been more limited than expected, so you probably aren't going to start him anyway. Unless you're me, who drafted Tate as a third back in one league behind Isaac Redman. %$#@!
- Chiefs RB Peyton Hillis (ankle) missed another practice on Thursday. You weren't counting on him for anything, right?
- Nick Novak will again kick in place of Nate Kaeding (groin) for the Chargers. Since the Chargers should score a bunch of points on Sunday night, Novak seems like a good plug-in option.
- WR Laurent Robinson (concussion) still isn't practicing for the Jaguars. If someone (besides Justin Blackmon) needs to catch the ball for this team against the Bears, you might want to grab TE Marcedes Lewis as a red-zone option.
- Don't forget your byes: The Cowboys, Bucs, Lions and Raiders are off this week.
Good luck this weekend!